TERMS OF REFERENCE OF THE BSEC WORKING GROUP
ON COOPERATION IN EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE
1. The Working Group is established in accordance with the Article 7 of the Agreement among the Governments of the Participating States of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation on Collaboration in Emergency Assistance and Emergency Response to Natural and Man-made Disasters.
2. The Working Group shall examine the ways of implementing and promoting cooperation on the basis of the above Agreement and the Additional Protocol to it.
3. The Working Group shall, inter alia, submit recommendations on the need to:
a) Joint Action for fulfillment of the Agreement among the BSEC Participating States on Collaboration in Emergency Assistance and Emergency Response to Natural and Man-made Disasters
- Interaction of the BSEC Countries in achieving ways and means of promoting solution and principles reflected by the Agreement on Collaboration in Emergency Assistance;
- elaboration of the proposals on the creation of the International Marine Rescue Center;
- preparation of the Reports and Recommendations as well as guidance for efficient management in the field of the Emergency Assistance and Emergency Response;
- working out and adoption of the standard documents (questionnaires, forms, figures and additional information) in order to ensure further progress in the implementation of the Agreement;
- analysis of the operations finalized by the Participating States for providing emergency assistance and emergency response;
- consideration of the amendments to the Agreement proposed by the BSEC Countries and their adoption;
- consideration of the controversial questions and the adoption of the final decisions;
- creation of a mechanism for coordinated actions and parties aimed at emergency prevention and response;
- control over actions connected to wide-scale disasters, accidents and other emergency situations response;
b) Development of the Regional and Bilateral Relations in the BSEC Framework
- Establishment of the principles and frameworks of the coordinated activities of the BSEC Countries in case of natural and man-made disasters, as well as establishment of the contacts with the regional and international institutions and agencies (including relevant BSEC Working Groups, BSTDB, etc…);
- invitation of the interested international and national organizations and institutions to join the activities connected with the implementation of the Agreement;
- working out of the question of integration of existing national forces and facilities for rendering assistance and the creation on this basis of regional forces for emergency assistance.
c) Subregional Cooperation
- Development of practical contacts with international institutions and organizations dealing with the subject in question in the BSEC region;
- elaboration of mechanism of interaction among the BSEC national authorities and NGOs;
- participation into the subregional education programs for the population concerning the rules of behavior in the open-nature, first-aid provision in case of accidents.
4. The above recommendations shall be submitted to the Meeting of the Ministers/High-level Officials in charge of emergency assistance and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters for endorsement and if necessary for a relative mandate to be issued the draft resolutions, decisions and recommendations proposed by the Working Group shall be adopted by the BSEC Council of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs.
5. The Working Group shall exercise the authority over the Network of the Liaison Officers, established under the Additional Protocol to the Agreement among the Governments of the Participating States of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation on Collaboration in Emergency Assistance and Emergency Response to Natural and Man-made Disasters and will:
a) consider the annual report for the activities Network of the Liaison Officers;
b) make an assessment of the activity of the Network, to be approved by the Meeting of the Ministers/High-level Officials in charge of emergency assistance and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters and the BSEC Council of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs;
c) propose measures for bolstering the cooperation within the Network;
6. The Working Group shall convene periodically and at least once a year at a reasonable time prior to the Meeting of the /High-level Officials in charge of emergency assistance and emergency response to natural and man-made disasters.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
OF THE BSEC AD HOC WORKING GROUP IN SEISMIC RISK
The BSEC Ad Hoc Working Group in Seismic Risk (hereinafter, Ad Hoc Working Group) was established by the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the BSEC Member States at its 24th Meeting held on 8 June 2011 in Bucharest.
The goals of the Ad Hoc Working Group are as follows:
- to contribute to seismic protection of the population, through seismic risk reduction in the BSEC Member States,
- to launch multilateral cooperation of appropriate national authorities, seismological institutes and centers as well as of representatives of the engineering communities, other institutions/centers, dealing with seismic risk reduction,
- to contribute to the application of the achievements of seismology and earthquake engineering in developing effective measures for seismic risk reduction,
- to elaborate minimum threshold seismic safety levels for hazardous facilities with due account of existing international regulations,
- to elaborate methods for the protection of monuments and historical buildings and to support their application.
For the implementation of the above goals the Ad Hoc Working Group will:
- develop facilities and means for seismic risk reduction such as seismic hazard and risk assessment, seismic codes and design appropriate standards, seismo-resistant construction and strengthening the existing buildings, public education early warning and notification system design, etc.
- discuss and plan concrete actions to reduce seismic risks in major cities on the basis of new and comprehensive analysis of seismic threat maps of the territories of the BSEC Member States;
- exchange scientific and relevant technological information and data and organize technology transfer through the implementation of multilateral programs and projects;
- contribute to the strengthening of the scientific and technological potential of the BSEC in the field of seismic risk reduction;
- develop mutually beneficial interaction with relevant international institutions and organizations;
- elaborate and implement projects by the available financial support from the relevant institutions of the BSEC Member States, as well as international organizations, aimed at estimating the seismic threat and to identify ways of reduction of seismic risk, in particular, in the major cities;
- have a dialogue with decision-makers, public institutions, relevant NGOs, research and technological centers, universities, business and financial circles to elaborate proposals for decision-making mechanisms within the framework of the Ad Hoc Working Group for enhancing cooperation of seismologists, tectonists and seismology engineers of the BSEC Member States.
The Representatives to the Ad Hoc Working Group shall be appointed by the appropriate national authorities, institutions and interested research communities dealing with the problems of seismology and related fields of engineering seismology, earthquake engineering and other issues of seismic risk reduction.
The Ad Hoc Working Group will meet at least once per year. For permanent contacts and consistency in work the Ad Hoc Working Group will establish an Expert Correspondence Network. The Ad Hoc Working Group will be subordinated to the BSEC Working Group on Cooperation in Emergency Assistance.
The Ad Hoc Working Group shall carry out its activities in conformity with the BSEC Charter and BSEC Rules of Procedure.
Ad Hoc WG on Floods and Torrents
Ad Hoc WG on Massive Forest Fires