OF THE BSEC WORKING GROUP
ON EXCHANGE OF STATISTICS DATA AND ECONOMIC INFORMATION
January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021
Country-Coordinator: Republic of Bulgaria
I. GENERAL OBJECTIVES:
The present Action Plan of the Working Group on Exchange of Statistical Data and Economic Information (hereinafter – WG ESDEI) defines the main goals, objectives and measures for the closer cooperation in the field of statistics among the BSEC Member States for the period January 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021.
In its activities the WG ESDEI will be guided by the BSEC Charter, the Istanbul Summit Declaration on the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (Istanbul, 25 June 1992), the BSEC Economic Agenda: Towards an Enhanced BSEC Partnership (Belgrade, 11 June 2012), the Joint Declaration of the Ministers Participating in the Meeting of the Ministers in Charge of Economy of the BSEC Member States (Yalta, 23 May 2013), the Joint Statement of the Heads of the National Statistical Offices of the BSEC Member States (Moscow, 23 June 2016), the Declaration Of The 25th Anniversary Summit Of The Organization Of The Black Sea Economic Cooperation (Istanbul, 22 May 2017), the Resolutions, Decisions and Recommendations adopted by the BSEC Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs and decisions of the Heads of the National Statistical Offices of the BSEC Member States.
As the BSEC priority task is ensuring sustainable development in the Black Sea region, the primary contribution of the WG ESDEI will be the exchange of statistical data and economic information as a horizontal tool for achieving the BSEC Economic Agenda goals. The WG ESDEI will focus on discussing the key role of statistics in modern times. Comprehensive and reliable statistical data is crucial for measuring the developments in various fields - economics, trade, finance, environment, healthcare, crime, good governance, rule of law, etc. In this respect, the Heads of the National Statistical Offices of the BSEC Member States have recognized the need of timely and comparable statistics for:
- Supporting implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Ensuring good coordination and harmonization between the statistical systems of the BSEC Member States;
- Fostering the inclusion of national stakeholders such as data producers, civil society, academia and private sector as well as international organizations in the decision-making processes at the Organization of the BSEC;
- Improving data diversity with more detailed disaggregation, including the use of administrative records and other data sources.
Proper attention will be given to Goal 13: Harmonization and Exchange of Economic and Social Statistical Data and Information of the BSEC Economic Agenda and its framework consisting of the following two actions:
- Enhancing the exchange of accurate, comparable and timely statistical data and providing support for publication of periodic reports on the economic performance of the BSEC Member States.
- Reactivating and strengthening the work of the existing Coordination Center for the Exchange of Statistical Data and Economic Information, as an Affiliated Center of BSEC.
The WG ESDEI will continue to support the organization of training seminars/workshops and conferences aimed at sharing experience and best practices in the statistics field among experts of the BSEC Member States, other countries and international organizations.
In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, statistical offices have proven their ability to adapt quickly and use modern solutions and technologies in order to continue the exchange of data, experience and knowledge. Therefore, WG ESDEI will encourage the organization of online events.
The WG ESDEI will work on strengthening the project-oriented dimension of the BSEC Organization in the statistics field. The collaboration between the BSEC Member States in new and already existing projects is vital to the organisation’s evolution and growth as it will reinforce statistical and economic cooperation in the region and will be mutually beneficial to all participants including the BSEC Observer countries and other key partners.
The WG ESDEI will work on the following priority areas during 2021:
- Exchanging ideas and best practices on improving statistical processes, so that comparable and reliable data is available among the BSEC Member States in order for them to achieve their strategic goals and address the challenges along the way. Discussions related to the implementation of the SDGs are closely related to the improvements in data diversity and data quality (Big Data, new data sources and administrative records);
- Strengthening cooperation between experts in the field of statistics (academia, private sector, civil society, etc.). Encouraging the organization of training courses for young statisticians within the BSEC region for strengthening statistical capacity among the BSEC Member States joining our training centres’ efforts to produce online training courses and make it available to everyone. Addressing international partners and donors to support the initiative;
- Exchanging ideas and best practices for acquiring timely and reliable statistical information in order to take adequate measures for overcoming the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Improving harmonization and strengthening cooperation between the BSEC Working groups and reactivating of the BSEC Coordination Center for the Exchange of Statistical Data and Economic Information. Sharing experience on project management.
The WG ESDEI will discuss at its online kick-off meeting in the first quarter of 2021 the proposed Action Plan and the setting of priorities in it.
II. LIST OF ACTIVITES AND JOINT MEETINGS:
- MEETINGS OF THE WORKING GROUP:
1st Coordination Meeting – Second half of March of 2021 (TBD)
Seminar/workshop – Fourth Quarter of 2021 (TBD)
- RELEVANT EVENTS:
Seminars/workshops and conferences, incl. training courses for young statisticians, will be organized during 2021 depending on the COVID-19 epidemiological situation.
- COOPERATION WITH OTHER BSEC BODIES:
The WG ESDEI will be an active partner to all BSEC Working groups that recognize the role of statistics and cooperate in its strengthening. The WG ESDEI will pursue closer coordination with the working groups under the Trade and Economic Development domain.
- COOPERATION WITH BSEC RELATED BODIES
The WG ESDEI will cooperate with BSEC Related Bodies in the implementation of the Action Plan, in particular with Black Sea Trade and Development Bank in developing cooperation in the field of exchange of economic information and statistical data and in establishing further appropriate links that will help promote the activities of both organizations in the BSEC Region.
- COOPERATION WITH BSEC OBSERVERS AND PARTNERS:
The WG ESDEI will cooperate with the BSEC Observers, Sectoral Dialogue Partners and other key players in order to achieve the above-mentioned priorities.
- COOPERATION WITH OTHER INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
The WG ESDEI will collaborate with international organizations, such as United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD), World Bank (WB), Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), European Commission, International Statistical Institute (ISI), International Association for Official Statistics (IAOS) and other international organizations and institutions.
III. RESPONSIBLE INSTITUTION:
National Statistical Institute of the Republic of Bulgaria
- Daniela Feralieva-Simeonova, Head of the International Cooperation Department
Tel: +359 9857 779
Mobile: +359 885 900 618
- Vera Ivanova, Chief Expert at the International Cooperation Department
Tel: +359 9857 426