PLAN OF ACTION
OF THE BSEC WORKING GROUP
ON COOPERATION IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
1 July 2018 — 30 June 2020
Country-Coordinator: The Russian Federation
1. GENERAL OBJECTIVES
Guided by the principles of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, set by the United Nations and “The BSEC Economic Agenda Towards an Enhanced Partnership”, adopted by the Council of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the BSEC Member States in Belgrade on 11 June 2012, the Working Group agrees, where relevant, on the following general objectives:
- Encourage development of initiatives related to human resources, capacity building, research infrastructure and innovation.
- Develop a registry of national research and innovation related structures of the BSEC Member States and create a framework for their effective cross-national use.
- Encourage joint research and training programmes among the Scientific Institutions and Universities in the Member States in line with their priorities.
- Increase availability of public and private funds in R&D sector by raising awareness and facilitating cooperation.
- Support knowledge driven-communication and cooperation in common areas of research.
- Foster cross-border interregional international Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) cooperation.
- Ensure emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence, blockchain and the internet of things are used to benefit people of the BSEC Member States.
- Share information and best practices in the field of Digital and Green Economy.
- Develop partnerships under initiatives of the United Nations and other international organizations aiming at scientific cooperation on sustainability, including public-private partnerships (PPP) in the field of science and technology.
- Build stronger regional synergy between the relevant authorities of the BSEC Member States and their business and academic communities.
- Promote scientific research for Sustainable Development of the Black Sea Region and Ocean Science in general, especially in the context of the implementation of the 14th Sustainable Development Goal: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
- Harness the potential of research facilities and infrastructures of the BSEC Member States (inter alia, universities) to strengthen bilateral and multilateral cooperation in the BSEC Region.
- Encourage the development of platforms for technology startups, bilateral and multilateral international STI projects.
- Increase involvement of youth of the BSEC Member States into scientific, technological and innovative projects and initiatives.
- Support joint university-industry-government initiatives (based on the concept of the triple helix).
- Promote raising funds through public-private partnerships and encourage the development of research innovation clusters, science-to-business marketing (S2B) and university-business cooperation (UBC).
- Support initiatives for increasing efficiency of intellectual property management, especially for projects in the promising areas of research, extension of business involvement in scientific projects in the BSEC Region.
- Encourage joint scientific initiatives aimed at strengthening project-oriented profile of the BSEC Organization.
- Enhance cooperation of the BSEC Member States with technologically advanced countries (including, but not limited to the partners and observers of the BSEC), inter alia, through organizing exchange programmes and workshops for scientists of the BSEC Member States.
- Promote the research of principles and challenges of the Fourth Industrial Revolution as well as development of the standards to ensure global interoperability.
2. PRIORITIES OF THE WORKING GROUP
Based on the BSEC Economic Agenda (Goal 11 of the BSEC Economic Agenda “Strengthening Regional Cooperation in Scientific Research and Technology”) the Working Group intends to focus on the following priorities for the period of 2018-2020:
- Recognizing and consolidating the role of researchers in addressing global challenges (inter alia, related to the Fourth Industrial Revolution) and in a knowledge-based sustainable development of each country and the Region as a whole.
- Fostering exchange and mobility of researchers and scientists, especially among youth, from the BSEC Member States, inter alia, through bilateral and multilateral agreements and scholarships of scientific centers (including universities) of the BSEC Region.
- Encouraging the development of platforms and implementation of projects, aimed at promoting the exchange of information, experience and best practices in the field of science, technology and innovation to respond to the global challenges of the Fourth Industrial Revolution and within the framework of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Ensuring the coherent development of research infrastructures, including e-infrastructures, in the BSEC Region with international initiatives (inter alia mega-science facilities).
- Consolidating stimulation and strengthening of the scientific communities that constitute an essential element for a sustainable growth and economic development.
- Promoting regional identity and visibility of the BSEC in the Member States through joint bilateral and multilateral STI initiatives.
3. JOINT PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES
I) Exchange of information, experience and best practices
- Optimize the existing data-collection procedures in the field of science, technology and innovation in the BSEC Region.
- Promote exchange of best practices in the field of science, technology and innovation and information on recent developments and prospective trends in the field of Digital and Green Economy.
- Encourage collection of data related to prospects of joint scientific projects, inter alia, via the Questionnaire on National and Regional Research Infrastructures of the BSEC Member States.
- Conduct a study and the BSEC STI development Foresight, prepare a report on the cooperation of the BSEC Members States in the field of science, technology and innovation, based on the bibliometric analysis (inter alia, within the Black Sea Project Promotion Facility).
II) Cooperation and joint programmes
- Encourage creation of an environment for interaction between business and science in the BSEC region and attracting business to scientific and technological and industrial projects, providing assistance in the development of innovations and technological entrepreneurship and improving tools for supporting scientific projects.
- Promote further cooperation and research based on the facilities and infrastructures of the BSEC Member States (inter alia, within mega-science facilities).
- Encourage organization of joint scientific seminars, workshops, symposia, conferences, exhibitions, summer schools and other international events in the field of promising areas of research and technological entrepreneurship within the framework of the BSEC.
- Foster cross-border interregional international STI cooperation.
- Promote modes of funding combing national, regional, EU and other international funds and exploring PPP models especially in the field of research infrastructures.
- Encourage development of joint international educational programs in the field of artificial intelligence, blockchain, the Internet of Things, Digital and Green Economy.
- Elaborate a concept note on the establishment of an annual BSEC contest / award for young scientists and innovators working in the promising areas of research (sustainable technologies, digital economy, quantum technologies etc.) related to the Black Sea Region.
- Consider the possibility of organizing annual BSEC contest / award for young entrepreneurs and successful startups.
III) Digital projects and initiatives
- Develop the digital version of a database of national and regional research infrastructures of the BSEC member-states.
- Encourage the development of a web-portal dedicated to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the BSEC Region.
- Promote further development of the digital STI platform for scientific mobility to foster knowledge exchange and raise awareness of the future challenges related to STI in the Black Sea Region.
- Support further development of digital projects related to information on national contests that are open for international participants and international teams and respective funding parties in the BSEC Region.
4. MEETINGS OF THE WORKING GROUP
· 1st WG Meeting (19 October 2018, BSEC HQ) — adoption of the Plan of Action (2018-2020);
· 2nd WG Meeting (spring, 2019, tbc) — consideration of the initiatives within the Plan of Action; elaboration and implementation of the joint projects.
· 3rd WG Meeting (autumn, 2019, tbc) — consideration of the initiatives within the Plan of Action; elaboration and implementation of the joint projects.
· 4th WG Meeting (spring, 2020, tbc) — consideration of the initiatives within the Plan of Action; elaboration and implementation of the joint projects and preparation of evaluation report of the Country-Coordinator.
5. MINISTERIAL MEETINGS
Meeting of Ministers in charge of Science and Technology of the BSEC Member States (2019, tbc) — consideration and adoption of the Declaration of the Ministers of Science and Technology.
6. RELEVANT EVENTS
International conference for students and young scientists from the Black Sea Region dedicated to the Digital economy, Fourth industrial revolution and 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (tbc).
7. COOPERATION WITH OTHER BSEC BODIES
- Extend collaboration with the BSEC Working Group on Information and Communication Technologies, Working Group on Cooperation in Emergency Assistance and Working Group on Education.
- Foster cooperation with the Economic, Commercial, Technological and Environmental Affairs Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of BSEC (PABSEC) and the International Center for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS).
8. COOPERATION WITH BSEC OBSERVERS AND PARTNERS
- Develop and further extend cooperation among BSEC and international organizations and specialized agencies in the field of science, technology and innovation, inter alia with UN and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- Consider concrete proposals for implementation of the Memorandum of Intent on Science and Technology BSEC–USA and continue efforts to conclude a Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation between BSEC and UNESCO.
- Increase collaboration with the Black Sea Universities Network (BSUN).
- Promote the development of synergies between the BSEC own activities and initiatives foreseen in the major international projects.